Friday, January 18, 2013

Recipe: Banana Cake

Hello everybody! I baked a very heavy banana cake for 1.5kg last week. This is my second time baking it and I like to share the recipe with you. When mixing the ingredients, actually I forgot to put in the baking soda, but Alhamdulillah because I'm using self-raising flour, the cake turn out just nice! Actually, at the moment I start to realize that I forgot about it, I almost cried! There are various types of banana (or pisang) can be purchased at the market. For examples we have Pisang Berangan, Pisang Tanduk, Pisang Emas, Pisang Awak, Pisang Montel etc. For me the best banana to make a cake is Pisang Emas because the ripe banana has a sweet taste and very fragrant when baked.

To have a zing to your banana cake, you can add some nuts according to your taste buds and I prefer to add walnut to my cake. It creates a different texture. Put the nuts into the cake and also deco the cake with nuts on top. This time, I also deco the cake with some dried apricots!

I baked this into 9 inch baking pan - notes, if you put in baking soda, you may need larger container or divide the cake batter into two for safety.


Banana Cake Recipe

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup mashed banana
2 tbs lemon juice
375g self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
170g butter
200g castor sugar
200g brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbs vanilla essence
354ml buttermilk
1 cup Walnuts (or any nuts will do)

Methods
  1. Preheat the oven at 180˚C (you can go as lower as 150˚C)
  2. In a bowl shift together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl mix mashed banana with lemon juice and set aside.
  4. In mixer bowl, blend together butter, castor and brown sugar until pale and fluffy.
  5. Add in the vanilla essence and the eggs one at a time. Mix the batter well.
  6. Alternately add in flour and buttermilk. Mix it together and finally add the chopped walnuts (make sure that you bake the nuts a little bit before adding into the batter).
  7. Bake the batter into 2 x 8 inch spring form baking pan for 30-45 minutes.

1 comment:

Share Your Thoughts Here